Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Our Garden-2012

Gardening is in full swing around our house and we are loving it! Usually I'm trying to restrain myself to keep my garden small and to not over do it, and I think I kept the garden pretty well balanced, while keeping a nice variety. 

This year we have several new plants that we are trying to grow; Spaghetti Squash, Broccoli, Carrots, Radishes, Purple Sweet Peppers, potatoes, and buckwheat. I am especially excited to try the buckwheat!



We are hoping to try growing corn again but aren't sure if we will be able to try that this year or not. It's not in the ground anyway. We are also trying pumpkins again. Last year was our fist year to try them and they didn't do more than flower. I think it was due to poor cross-pollination. I heard that several local gardeners had similare issues with their tomatoes last year. Thankfully our tomatoes did well, just not our pumpkins.

We are also growing a variety of heirloom tomatoes, habaneros, green beans, sweet peppers, lettuce, misc herbs, zuchinni, yellow squash, and strawberries.

The strawberries haven't produced a lot, but they have really enjoyed them. As you can see in the picture, I often find a little one snacking on a few strawberries. There are a lot of strawberry lovers around here!

For now, I am also enjoying that the kids have really become such big helpers. It amazes me how much that has changed from last summer. They seem so much bigger! The enthusiasm and joy that kids have already put into planing and working on our family garden has been fun to watch! I can't wait to see how they react to the garden when the seeds become full grown plants!

More to come...(I hope)

Posted at:

Photobucket


No comments:

Post a Comment